The Modern Mann is a multi-award winning podcast with myself, Olly Mann and Alix Fox. I am ‘The Zeitgeist’ and it is my job to put trends to the test. I’ve had a gong bath, ran naked in the sea, eaten insects and hunted out crime.
Here is the RSS feed of the latest Modern Mann episodes for your lugholes.
- After a sudden and violent death, the Metropolitan Police will dispatch a member of their ‘Family Liaison' team to the deceased person’s relatives, to ensure their needs are met. But this wasn’t always the case…As retired officer Tom Simmons explains to Olly in this episode, the role of the ‘family liaison’ was […]
- Seeking a secure investment, newlyweds Sara and Ali sank their savings into a dependable, government-backed business – a branch of the Post Office.That decision led them to lose their income, their home – and even their liberty.In this intense interview with Olly, they explain how an unacknowledged software glitch put […]
- What’s the reality of male-to-female transitioning on the NHS? Listener Lexi Perry-Weston says the online resources she found didn’t relate to her experiences at all.In this interview with Olly, she explains how she’s been supported in her trans journey by her family, her workplace and the medical establishment – but […]
- The British Army is recruiting gamers, 'phone zombies', and 'selfie addicts' as it broadens its skills for modern military ops. But who are the young men getting these jobs, and what impact does it have on their lives? Former Grenadier Guardsman Julian Perreira served as a J-TAC (Joint Terminal Attack Controller) […]
- Four years before Facebook, long before anyone knew what ‘social networking’ was, Julie Pankhurst had an idea…What if, without trawling through message-boards or working your way through The Phone Book, you could reconnect with all your old school friends, via one simple database?Friends Reunited rapidly became one of Britain’s biggest […]
- Lottie Woods was in her early twenties when she was sent, alone, to meet a powerful buyer for a high street fashion brand in Guangzhou, China.They went out for a drink. The next morning, they had a meeting. In this interview with Olly, she recounts what happened in between.Along the […]
- Comedians Tom Price and Stuart Goldsmith reunite with Olly Mann to compare parenting notes – this time, in lockdown…Can they turn mundane household tasks into games? What kids’ TV shows are best avoided? And how DO you explain the pandemic to a four year-old?In this laugh-out-loud, typically honest encounter, our […]
- Blaine Harrison, lead singer of Mystery Jets, is also a ‘property guardian’, who lives and works in the capital’s empty commercial premises.For a while the entire floor of an office block on London’s Strand was his home. Each weekend he had a front-row seat as NHS marches, Brexit protests, Extinction […]
- Scammers took £160,000 from Nick’s father in just eighteen months. He believed, in return, they’d send him gold, or stocks and shares, or even come to his home in Cyprus and begin a relationship with him. Instead, they just kept the cash.In a reflective, revelatory conversation with Olly, Nick recounts how he […]
- Layla Moran MP is fighting to keep her seat. There are trolls, there are threats, there are hostile journalists. And throughout the journey, as she campaigns in the 2019 general election… we are at her side.In this Modern Mann exclusive, host Olly Mann and producer Matt Hill accompany the Liberal […]